Tennis is one of the biggest individual sports where many players compete to win the most important titles. Here is the list of the top 7 major tennis tournaments as of 2021.
There are close to 300 tournaments held on both the men’s and the women’s tour every year. Out of these, there are 7 tournaments that take the cake. We have ranked them in order.
What are the Major Tennis Tournaments for men (ATP) and women (WTA)?
In this article we are ranking the 7 major tennis tournaments that tennis players crave to win in 2021.
But before that, some newbies would want to know how many tournaments are played every year. Let’s talk about these tournaments organized by various regulatory bodies (ITF, ATP and WTA) first.
How Many Tennis Tournaments are Played in a Year?
There are more than 70 tennis tournaments which are held on the men’s professional tour every year. The women’s tour comprises of another 70+ tournaments held every year.
The tournaments in the men’s tour are conducted by the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP). The women’s tour has their own list of tennis tournaments laid down by the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA).
At the lower tiers, you have the Challenger group of tournaments and ITF Pro circuits conducted by the International Tennis Federation.
In India, there are more than 1000 tournaments conducted by the All India Tennis Association (AITA) for players across all ages.
In addition to these tennis tournaments conducted by the ATP and WTA, there is the Summer Olympics which take place once every 4 years.
With so many events being conducted across 5 different continents every year, as a tennis fan, you might be curious to find out the list of major tennis tournaments in the world.
Let’s jive in right away.
What are the 7 Most Important Tennis Tournaments?
These are the 7 biggest and most important tennis tournaments as of 2021.
7 Major Tournaments in Professional Tennis
|S. No.||Tournament||Rank||Time of the Year||Tennis Court Surface|
|1||Australian Open||#1||Jan End - Feb Beginning||Outdoor Hard|
|2||French Open (a.k.a. Roland-Garros)||#1||May End - Jun Beginning||Outdoor Clay|
|3||Wimbledon||#1||Jun End - Jul Beginning||Outdoor Grass|
|4||US Open||#1||Aug End - Sep Beginning||Outdoor Hard|
|5||The Olympics Tokyo 2021||#2||Once Every 4 Years||Hard / Grass / Clay
|6||Nitto ATP Finals (Men's Tour Finals)||#3||November||Indoor Hard|
|7||WTA Finals (Women's Tour Finals)||#3||November||Indoor Hard|
The above 7 tournaments are in the order as they appear in the ATP/WTA calendar.
As you can see all these 7 tournaments are conducted on different surfaces. They are played on hard court, clay court or grass. Wimbledon is the only major tournament to be played on a grass court.
Ranking the 7 Major Tournaments in Tennis
- The first 4 i.e. The Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon and US Open are also popularly known as majors or Grand Slams. They occupy the first rank. These are the biggest and the 4 biggest sporting events in tennis offering the highest prize money and ranking points. They are ranked above any other tennis tournament in the world and considered to be of the highest order amongst tennis players and critics.
- The next is the Summer Olympics which is ranked in the second spot. Tennis, in the Summer Olympics, is played once every 4 years. Like any other sport, tennis in the Olympics is considered to be a major event. Considering the fact that you get only one opportunity every 4 years to compete & win that elusive Olympic Gold medal makes it an important tournament in tennis.
- The ATP & WTA Finals occupy the 3rd rank on the list. The ATP & WTA Finals are year-end tournaments where only the top-ranked players compete for securing year-end rankings. These tournaments are second only to the Grand Slams & the Olympics in tennis. They are also considered to be extremely important when it comes to players’ rankings and career achievements.
Which is the Most Prestigious Tennis Tournament?
Wimbledon is considered to be the most prestigious tennis tournament by many tennis players, critics and tennis enthusiasts.
This is because of The Championship’s rich history and heritage that gives this tournament a unique sense of royalty and prestige.
Wimbledon is also the oldest tennis tournament in the world. It is the only Grand Slam that is still played on grass (lawn). The British Royal Family is seen at the Royal Box of Wimbledon every year.
Many famous celebrities from around the world also attend Wimbledon every year making it one of the most popular sporting events in the world.
Tennis Players With the Most Wins at Major Tennis Tournaments
|Tennis Player||Grand Slams Won||Olympics Won||Tour Finals Won||Total Tournaments Won|
These 7 tournaments are extremely competitive and challenging.
Since these tournaments are played on different surfaces, players need to come up with different strategies and modify their styles & gameplay for each tournament.
It all comes down to sheer physical & mental grit to win one of these tournaments in the biggest stage of tennis.
Which is your favorite tennis tournament? Let us know in the comments below.
- 6 Stunning Reasons Why Wimbledon is the Most Prestigious Tournament in Tennis - October 20, 2020
- Why is Roland-Garros (French Open) the Toughest Grand Slam Tournament? - September 15, 2020
- All You Need to Know about the 4 Grand Slams in Tennis - September 14, 2020