You are looking to learn about badminton and you are wondering how many points the badminton game can play; how many points is the game of badminton played to win… Well, the following article will help you answer the above questions related to badminton.
What is badminton?
Badminton is a popular sport played in many countries around the world. A fast-paced racquet game, to hit a shuttlecock (or shuttle) over the net and into the opponent’s court. Each side can only hit the shuttle once before the shuttle goes over the net.
How many points is the game of badminton played to win?
Every time you win a rally, you get 1 point. Starting from a score of 0, the first person to reach 21 points will be the winner of the game. The best badminton match usually takes place in 3 games, you win the match by winning two games. Every time you win a rally, you get the next serve.
To win you need to be two points ahead of your opponent
In badminton, you must win the game with at least two points. If the score reaches 20 – 20, then 21 points are no longer enough to win the game. You need to get two obvious points: two in a row, one after the other (like 22 – 20, 24-22).
However, if you reach a score of 30-29, you have won the game. Because 30 points are the cut-off point. This rule is in place to prevent matches that go on for so long that the athlete is at risk of injury.
If you are intending to start playing badminton, check out this article of mine to help you choose the best badminton rackets for beginners.
Always say the server’s score first
When you read the score, always say the server’s score first. So if you are serving and have 18 points to your opponent’s 20 points, then the score is 18–20 (not 20–18).
Some badminton rules you need to know
- Before serving you must wait for your opponent to be ready before you can serve.
- Both opponents’ feet must remain stationary until the shuttle is delivered (the foot must not touch the line at this time).
- It is not a fault if you miss the shuttle while serving.
- A player cannot hold his racket near the net to ward off a downward stroke by his opponent or to interfere with his racket.
*** Read more: Top 10 Best Badminton Rackets To Smash And Control in 2023
Some notes when playing badminton
- No delay in service even though it is ready: In badminton, when both opponents are ready, neither side is allowed to take actions that delay the service.
- Feet must not touch the line: Whether you are the receiver or the service, you must not touch the line or line of the service or receiving area.
- Missing: If the server moves the racket but misses the shuttle, this counts as a foul. However, if they accidentally drop the shuttle while not moving the racket, it will not count as a service error.
- Do not touch the shuttlecock when it is not over the net: This is considered the most controversial error in badminton. The player is not allowed to hit the shuttlecock until it has crossed his side of the court, otherwise, it will be counted as a violation of the rules.
*** Read more: Top 10 Best Badminton Shuttlecock For Pro Practice & Competition
Like other sports, badminton also has certain rules to ensure the interests of athletes. I hope that this article has helped you answer the question of how many points is the game of badminton played to win. Thank you for reading this article of mine.